Monday, October 1, 2007

White Batter Bread


I've never made a batter bread before this one - so I wasn't sure what to expect. It turned out great, though! Dense and sweet with just the right amount of yeastiness. Rob loved it and I can't wait to make it again! The only catch is that I forgot to spray the tube part of the tube pan with baker's joy before baking and the middle part of the bread stuck a little. Oops. :)

Ingredients:
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine (I used butter) softened
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 eggs
5 1/2 - 6 cups all purpose flour

Directions:
In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth (I used the paddle attachment to my KA). Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (meaning that it sticks to itself, but is still sticking to the sides of the pan as well). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (1 hour).
Stir the dough down. Spoon into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Cover and let rise until doubled - another hour. Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Mine went 25 minutes exactly. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cool completely.


No comments: