Monday, October 1, 2007

Monkey Bread


REVIEW:
Not the monkey bread I remembered. The "caramelized" topping wasn't the right taste for my tastebuds. Honestly, I think I'd like it better if there hadn't been any topping at all involved (although I'm not sure it would've stuck together so well. I'm gonna look for another recipe. DH ... loved it and wants me to make it again.

COST: $2.60
Three cans of buttermilk biscuits - $1.18 total - Walmart
1 Cup Cinnamon-Sugar - approximately $0.50 (ingredients already in pantry)
1 Cup Brown Sugar - approximately $0.50 (already in pantry)
1 Stick Butter - $0.42

INGREDIENTS:
3 cans buttermilk biscuits (I used Pillsbury 50-cal biscuits)
1 cup cinnamon-sugar (1 cup white sugar, 1 tablespoon or more cinnamon)
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter

DIRECTIONS:
Cut biscuits into 4 pieces each. Roll each piece in cinnamon sugar (or put into ziploc bag and shake to coat). Put into bundt or angel food pan. Cook brown sugar and butter until caramelized. Pour over biscuits. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

5 comments:

April said...

Oh my Lord. I can not tell you how much I love monkey bread! My Granny and I used to make it. Definitely adding this to the list of things the kids and I need to make! :)

Anonymous said...

I love Monkey bread! It's one of my favorite weekend treats!

CB said...

omg. I heart monkey bread! added to my blog fo sho! :)

CB said...

ps. I've always wondered... why is it called monkey bread?

Lorena Sims said...

I found a link on why its called Monkey Bread:

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodbreads.html#monkeybread

Quick answer - no one knows. :)