Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Oops Cookies




So, about 2 days ago, I found this recipe for "Poor Man's Candy" - basically a potato, powdered sugar, and some peanut butter. I know, it sounds gross, but I was fascinated and couldn't figure out what it would taste like. So I decided to try it out (after all, potatoes are cheap!).

I bake two small potatoes in the microwave, peel them, mash them up. But they weren't smoothing out like I imagined that they should. So ... I added a little water (NOT in the recipe) and whipped them into smooth-looking mashed potatoes. Then I started adding powdered sugar. This is when I discovered why there wasn't any water in the recipe. Turns out, powdered sugar draws the moisture out of the potatoes so they are "self-moistening". Well, if you've already added water ... you get, essentially, sweet potato soup. The more powdered sugar I added, the soupier the mixture got. Ooops.

Well, obviously, that wasn't going anywhere, so then Rob suggested that we should just make cookies out of the mixture. So I added some flour, a little oil, an egg, some baking soda, and some vanilla. Oh, and about 1/2 a bag of chocolate chips.

I poured the whole mess onto a greased cookie sheet and baked it for 10 minutes at 350.

I got ... chocolate chip cookie bars ... but with the oddest texture you've ever tried! They're almost indescribable in texture. Somewhere between a fried clam and bubble gum. Tasted good, but really wierd to eat. :)

Oh, and incidentally, Rob asked me last night when I'm going to make them again. So they get, overall, a B+ from the both of us. Ooops.

7 comments:

April said...

This is hilarious! You are really taking this "cheap eating" to a whole new level. You will be able to write a cookbook before it is all said and done. You go girl! :)

CB said...

no picture!? I was so looking forward to a picture after reading about your potato, powdered sugar, chocolate chip cookie journey! teehee. :)

Lorena Sims said...

No photos. Sadly ... because the cookies are GONE. If I do make another attempt at them sometime, I'll take some photos!

Alanna said...

I'm scared just reading this.....

Melanie said...

OMG - you are seriously hilarious! I was dying while reading this - just LMAO!

Sarah said...

LOL! Love the picture and the story! You still made the recipe work!

iambellaluna said...

Oh wow! I can't imagine a potato cookie. Who knew about powdered sugar...