Monday, January 28, 2008

Apple-Cranberry-Pecan Baked Brie



Last week I bought my first "specialty" grocery item - brie. I've never had it and always wanted to try it. First, let me say that I'm not entirely sure this brie was completely ripe. It seemed a little firm. However, it was yummy in its context: baked, with carmelized apples, cranberries, and pecans.

I made this recipe up as I went along ... so I'll do my best to approximate ingredient amounts.


COST: $6.09
Brie - $3.19
Apple - $0.75
Cranberries - $0.50
Butter - $0.50
Pecans - $1.00
Brown Sugar - $0.15
Cinnamon - Negligible
Salt - Negligible


INGREDIENTS:
2/3 cup pecan halves (enough to almost cover bottom of skillet)
1 smallish wedge brie - peeled
1 large apple, peeled and diced (I used Braeburn)
1/2 cup cranberries
1 stick butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
Cinnamon to taste
Pinch salt


DIRECTIONS:

Toast pecans over medium heat. When lightly browned, add butter and turn down until just barely simmering. Add brown sugar, apples, cranberries, and spices and saute until apples are slightly cooked - still a little crunchy.

Meanwhile, peel rind off brie and place in bottom of small baking dish. When carmelized mixture is done, pour over brie and place in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with crackers.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

OMG that looks amazing! I can't believe it's only $6!

Lorena Sims said...

Yep - only $6.00! Now, we did spend $2.00 on the crackers we ate them with (and I know you can get them MUCH cheaper than that ...)