Thursday, December 27, 2007

New Cookbooks!

One of my new features this year on my blog will be, essentially, to profile my cookbook collection and provide a review for each. Hopefully this will be helpful to you.

For Christmas this year, one of the things I mentioned to my family was that I wanted new cookbooks. And I got them! Lots of them, in fact.

The most precious to me is one that my mother has been assembling. It is essentially a 4x6 photo album with handwritten index card recipes. This is a VERY good thing because I can use it in a moveable, changeable way ... and it includes all the recipes I loved as a child and growing up. Family "heirloom" recipes, as it were.

Second, the Blue Ribbon Country Cookbook, by Diane Roupe:



This is a great cookbook, chock-full of easy, tasty recipes. I have yet to try it, but it has some tasty-looking options, and there are a lot of them. The only disappointing thing about this cookbook is that there are no color photographs (which I find to be - usually - VERY appealing in a cookbook).

Finally, the Best of Amish Cooking, by Phyllis Good:



Having grown up in Amish country, eating Amish food, has spoiled me a little. Down here in McAllen, authentic Mexican is available on every street corner ... but authentic Amish food? Not likely to be found - anywhere. So this little cookbook offers a wide selection of Amish-oriented recipes. There are some color pictures, but I really wish there were more. Another thing to be aware of is that Amish recipes don't take shortcuts (no cake mixes or bisquick here). So some of the recipes may be time consuming.

That's all for today, folks. Hope you get a chance to try out one or more of these cookbooks ... if you do, let me know what you think!

No comments: