Thursday, December 27, 2007

Contest: Frugal Foodie Challenge!

That's right, folks, you saw it here first! In my quest for inexpensive yet tasty meals, I've decided to turn the ideas over to the masses.

So here's the lowdown on the first ever Frugal Foodie Challenge!

I challenge you to create an entire meal (not including dessert or beverages) for two people. Each month I will give you a dollar value and a special ingredient, and you are to be as creative as possible.

This month's ingredient is MOZZARELLA CHEESE. You may spend no more than $7.

Deadline for entries is January 25th, 5:00pm EST. The winner will be posted no later than January 31st at 5:00pm EST.

A prize will be given to the person who creates the most creative, tasty, and useable meal within the guidelines! This prize will consist of a "blog button" with the Frugal Foodie logo to display on your blog and a kitchen gadget, still to be determined - but definitely random.




For those of you who desire the rest of the specifics, here are the rules:

You must create a complete meal for TWO people.
You can spend NO MORE THAN $7 for both servings.
You must include the following ingredient: MOZZARELLA CHEESE
Each meal must be "re-creatable" by me for less than $7.
Basic pantry staples are not required to be included in cost. Please use good judgment as to what this entails - email me if any questions!
You may include partial costs for ingredients that must be bought in bulk. i.e. A carton of eggs costs $1.50 but you only used one. You can credit that as $0.12
Post recipe/instructions/photos on your blog by the deadline. If you don't have a blog, you can still participate, but email me for further directions.
Email me a link to your blog post for the contest.
The top 2-3 meals will be re-created and judged based on creativity, taste, ease of "construction" and overall cost.
Winner will be posted no later than the last day of the month.




If you are interested in participating or have any questions, please email me at foodrevolutionblog@gmail.com or leave me a comment in this post before the judging deadline.

GOOD LUCK - and - GO!

12 comments:

CB said...

Love this idea! I am totally in! I bet this will definitely open my eyes to how much I spend per meal. ps. Mozza rocks! ;)

CB said...

ps. smartass entry: little caesar's $5 pizza! LOL.

Anonymous said...

I'm in!

Suzana Parreira said...

That should be great fun! I'd love to participate but maybe that's too much fuss with different currencies (Euro/dollar)... I'll see what I can do!

Deeba PAB said...

I'll stand by & watch...am in India but would love to see $7 turn into a meal for 2!! Good luck guys!! Here it is entirely possible!!

Lorena Sims said...

Suzana - go for it ... if you want to post in euros, I can do the currency exchange for you!

Lisa said...

Oh dear. Maybe the next one. I'd love to, but even a small piece of mozzarella would probably be about 7,000won. Cheese happens to not be a frugal thing in Korea. ;)

Helene said...

cb told the Daring Bakers about your challenge and I made up a logo to put on our blog so that more people would know about it. I can email it to you if you want. Nothing fancy but it was easier to upload on our sidebar. Let me know: marinette1ATcomcastDOTnet

Anonymous said...

Done and done. What a great idea! I read about this this afternoon and used it to make dinner. It's up and ready to be judged.

Lorena Sims said...

Mindy, that's awesome - thanks for participating! But I do need the address of your entry in order to judge it. Just drop me a quick email when you have time. Thanks!!

Carrie said...

will you be doing this again next month? I want to participate if you are!!

Lorena Sims said...

Carrie - Yep, we'll be doing this every month. However, you're welcome to do it this month - we still have about a week left!