Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas Cookies

Okay, so these were my first attempt at Christmas cookies by myself, without mom. If I do say so myself, I did a pretty good job, taste-wise. Looks? Well, lets just say most 6-year-olds do a better job with frosting, but Rob & I had fun ... and that's what matters, right?



Again, I'm going to have to pass on the cost for these cookies and the frosting, because I already had most ingredients on hand. As I have to start buying, I'll be able to start supplying ingredient cost again. :)

These cookies are a recipe from my great-grandmother Heer. All the ingredient amounts are approximations, because she didn't use measuring utensils. Mom says this is close, though, and it is the perfect sugar cookie to frost. A little dense and not too sweet. My dad likes them with apple butter.

GRANDMA HEER'S SUGAR COOKIES:

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups white sugar
1 cup shortening
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 cups all-purpose flour (or more if dough is sticky)

DIRECTIONS:
Mix together sugar, shortening, baking powder, and nutmeg. Add eggs. Combine milk and baking soda, then add to mixture. Add flour until dough is not sticky.

Roll out to 1/4 inch thick on floured surface (I just use the kitchen table). Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.

Bake at 350 for 8 minutes or until very lightly brown on edges and/or bottom. Cool on wire racks. Allow to cool completely (I usually leave 24 hours) before frosting. Store in airtight container.

WILTON BUTTERCREAM ICING:

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla (use clear for true white frosting)
4 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons milk
Food Coloring (if desired)

DIRECTIONS:
In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear very dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use. Add food coloring if desired.

2 comments:

April said...

These look so yummy! I have yet to find a sugar cookie recipe that I have made that I like so I might have to give this one a shot. :)

Lorena Sims said...

Awww, thanks. They are yummy. This years batch has a lot of flour in it (it was really humid on Sunday), so they were a little more dense than usual. Usually quite light and super tasty!