Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Lemon Meringue Pie - the Right Way!




If you've been keeping up, you know that my prior lemon-meringue pie did not turn out at all. So here's the recipe that I used when I re-did (successfully) the pie. I will not be publishing cost on this recipe, since technically it was a gift. I will say, though, that it is most definitely an under-$5 pie. (If you don't screw it up on the first attempt!)

INGREDIENTS:
1 pre-made graham cracker pie crust (I used Keebler)
1 2/3 cups sugar
6 tablespoons corn starch
1/2 cup lemon juice (I cheat and use Realemon)
4 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups boiling water
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 300. In heavy saucepan, combine 1 1/3 cups sugar and cornstarch. Add lemon juice. In small bowl, beat egg yolks, then add to lemon mixture.

Gradually add boiling water, stirring constantly. Over medium heat, cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens (will happen fast - usually 5 minutes or so!). Remove from heat. Add butter, stir until melted in. Pour into pastry shell.

In small mixer bowl (I used my KA 6qt stand mixer), beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form (use mixer setting 8 or 9 for this). Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.

Spread on top of pie, sealing the edges to the shell. Bake 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Cool and chill before serving (unless you like lemon meringue soup). Refridgerate leftovers.



This is what the pie looks like while baking. Pardon the fuzzy photo - my oven's manufacturer was kind enough to add little dots to the oven window ... I swear they're only there to prevent good photography.


This is what the meringue looked like after baking. I like mine a little less brown than most people - just the peaks should be brown, in my opinion.

No comments: